September 26, 1932 and 1947
Within seconds, an army of club employees, caddies, and members rushed into the burning building. Showing little regard for their own safety, the rescuers picked up the club's grand piano and lugged it to safety. They then hauled out furniture, framed art, and draperies; rescued pots, pans, and china; and saved the cigar stand inventory from immolation.
One morning in 1947, Fatino awakened to the smell of smoke, a faulty wire having started a fire under the ballroom floor. Failing to contain the blaze with fire extinguishers, he called Overland Park's volunteer fire department in time to limit the damage.